Christmas is NOT a sad event. No kidding, right? Everyone knows it's about ho-ho-ho, getting stuff, pigging out, laughing with (or at) family, bell ringing and "the Christmas spirit." Right? Wrong! (But that's another post.) Christmas is supposed to be a celebration. Right? Please excuse this cynic, but I'm not convinced. Where are all the "faithful, joyful and triumphant," as the carol invites?
I'm not sensing happiness. At least not in the area where I live. This isn't to say no one is jolly. There are many exceptions to my generality. Overall, though, things seem more sad this year.
I noticed fewer light displays and outdoor decorations. Even the lights that were displayed don't have the "pop" they used to. Perhaps the economy dampened things? Lack of lights isn't the only contributor to the December damper.
Unless you're listening to a Christian station, you're unlikely to find overwhelming joy on the radio. One song is all about a boy's mother dying. He must buy a particular pair of shoes before she dies. Sad. Another oldie-but-goodie is "Blue Christmas." (I thought everyone dreams of a white Christmas?) So-and-so won't be here this year, so I'm going to be blue. Sad. "Grandma got run over by a reindeer coming home from our house Christmas Eve." Sad. (Okay, perhaps that's a bit over-reactive. As long as it isn't your grandmother, this is a funny song.) Oh - here's one - "Last Christmas I gave you my heart, but the very next day you gave it away. This year, to save me from tears...." Sad. The Goo Goo Dolls sing about "a chance that maybe we'll find better days." Sad.
My greatest argument is the faces of citizens. I was in K-Mart about an hour ago. Not once did anyone wish me a Merry Christmas, not even a generic, heartless, "Happy Holidays." Nothing. Even the Salvation Army bell ringer looked depressed!
Christmas is NOT a sad event! I say let's have more "Joy To The World" and less about Christmas shoes. I say "Good Christian Men, Rejoice" and let's stop the sad-sack gig. I say "Praise ye the Lord in heaven on high." Our joy is great! I still want to hear "the bells on Christmas Day, their old familiar carols play." "As With Gladness Men of Old" -- let there be more gladness! "God and sinners reconciled" -- Wow! It doesn't get any better than that!
"And an angel of the Lord suddenly stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them; and they were terribly frightened. But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.' And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.'" (Lu. 2:9-14, NASB)
No comments:
Post a Comment