First, she was from the wrong race. Matthew's account of this story tells us the woman was a Canaanite. That means she was not a Jew. She didn't serve Yahweh, Israel's God. She was in the second tier, if you will. Jesus said, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel” (Mt. 15:24). Paul said that the good news of Jesus Christ was to the Jew first (Rom. 1:16). Being a Canaanite means she was most likely an idolater. The Canaanites worshiped the false god named Ashtoreth. The Old Testament testifies repeatedly that this false god became a spiritual and moral snare to Israel. Worship of Ashtoreth was associated with nudity, lust and prostitution.
Second, she was from the wrong place. Her home was in Tyre, a Phoenician port city. Many Jews viewed themselves as superior to all Gentiles. Today we would say she was "born on the wrong
side of the tracks."
Third, she was of the wrong gender. Jewish men, especially the religious experts, sought to have as little private contact with women as possible.
Fourth, she came at the wrong time. Jesus came to the area to rest, to not minister.
Fifth, she was of the wrong priority. When I read this account, the evangelist in me wants to yell into
the pages, "Your number one priority, lady, is to get
your life right with Jesus!" That subject never came up. Neither Jesus nor the woman addressed it. She addressed Jesus as "Lord" but there is no indication
she followed Him, served Him or ever mentioned His name
again. Her number one priority was the safety and comfort of her
demonized daughter.
TODAY, PEOPLE STILL HAVE THE ODDS STACKED AGAINST THEM.
- "I'm not worthy enough."
- "I'm not knowledgeable enough."
- "I'm not good enough."
- "I'm not holy enough."
What matters is Jesus.
- Jesus is worthy enough.
- Jesus is knowledgeable enough.
- Jesus is good enough.
- Jesus is holy enough.
- Jesus, because He is God, is more than enough.
- "Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God..." (2 Cor. 3:5).
All you need to do is come to Him, just as you are, and tell Him what is troubling you.
No comments:
Post a Comment