Monday, April 1, 2013

To My Discouraged Pastor Friend

Discouraged pastor, I've been where you are right now.  I've been there often

It's the day after Easter.  You've heard one pastor friend (or church) after another share exciting reports from Easter.  With e-mail, Facebook, Twitter and such, how could you not?  Attendance was up, guest count was high, the offering was exceptional, people were saved.  You're happy for your fellow pastors.  You sincerely are.  You had tears in your eyes when you read about those who were saved.  You know better than to not celebrate a kingdom win.

Today you're discouraged because you didn't see the results you wanted.  My friend you prayed just as long, planned just as diligently, worked just as hard as others.  You did many of the same things.  You sang many of the same songs.  You preached a conservative Easter message from one of the classic passages.  Other pastors and churches prospered.  It appears you didn't.

My discouraged pastor friend, I know that feeling well.  That's what I battled for six consecutive Easters. This year things were different.  I'll leave it at that.  I want you to know I've prayed for you today.  You're God's servant.  He loves you.  You pleased Him yesterday with your effort.  Please know that He hasn't abandoned you.  He's not disappointed in you.  All He wants is for you to remain faithful.

No comments: