Saturday, June 11, 2011

Summer Is Here

All of us need to beware that family gatherings, sports, festivals and other outdoor events don't become lame excuses for missing church.  Yep, I'm harping on it early.  I'm not against having a vacation.  Go have fun!  When vacation is over, get back to church.  That's all.  Sunday is the Lord's Day.  It is meant for worship, rest and relationships.  Let's be brutally honest:  When we miss church, it is usually (not always, but usually) due to laziness or apathy.  (You know I'm not talking about sickness or hospitalization.)  We would still have time to enjoy local festivities without having to miss church. If that hot dog is calling us at 11:00 A.M., I'm sure there would be another one at 1:30 P.M.  Vendors will take our money regardless of the time.  So what if you miss your favorite band?  That band would be more important than worship?  I've heard, "God wants me to have fun" and "God understands."  Down deep you know you're just making excuses.  I can't tell you why this is, but it's enough of a pattern that I'll mention it.  When you miss a Sunday service, that's not all you miss.  You miss a provision, promise or answer from God.  Think of it this way:  When you miss church, you're stealing from yourself.  The end.

No comments: