Saturday, February 19, 2011

God's Everlasting Love (Jer 31:3)

  1. I can describe it, but I can't understand it. I can give you the dictionary definitions of "eternity," "everlasting" and "love." Talking about God's love isn't so difficult as understanding it. Because I am finite and limited, so is my understanding. So take anything I say about God's love as a starting point, not the end-all.
  2. I can experience it, but I can't duplicate it. God loves me with an everlasting love. He loves you with an everlasting love. He had no beginning and will have no end. God is defined as love (1 Jn 4:8). What I can't do is love someone else with an everlasting love, since both my love and my existence have starting points. If I choose to start loving someone, then there was a time when I didn't love. So much for "everlasting" love.
  3. I can receive it, but I can't reciprocate it. How can I, the finite creature, return everlasting love to my Creator? Because of my creature status, I cannot love everlastingly. I can only go forward in love after a starting point. God loved me before I ever knew Him or knew about Him. He loved me before I was created.
  4. I can celebrate it, but I can't cancel it. I did nothing to deserve God's love and I can do nothing to earn it. This everlasting love is sent to me compliments of God. I can run from God's love or reject it, but I can't remove it.

No comments: